When I first heard of “Clean Eating” I wondered what exactly it was and as I looked into it further I discovered it is a lifestyle centered around eating mainly unprocessed food, fresh fruit and vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains. So I have put together a few simple principles that I live by. Also below is the ‘Real Food Manifesto’ which is another great set of guidelines I live by.
Healthy Green Mama’s Clean Eating Principles 101
- No processed foods
- No refined sugar
- No preservatives or additives
- Eat whole grains and whole foods
- Eat plant based proteins
- Eat healthy fats
- Eat every 2 to 3 hours
- Avoid food with gluten
- Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Eat 5 to 6 smaller meals every day
- Start your day with warm lemon water
- Drink more green tea & less coffee
- Eat breakfast everyday within an hour of rising
- Combine lean protein and complex carbs in each meal
- Try and buy organic when you can
- Drink 2-3 litres of water a day
- Prep your meals in advance
- Avoid alcohol and carbonated drinks
The Real Food Manifesto !
When comes to buying your fresh fruit and vegetable its is very important to try to buy organic to avoid foods that are loaded with chemicals. I found these two great lists called the ‘Dirty Dozen’ and the ‘Clean Fifteen’ which makes buying your fresh produce a lot easier so that your avoiding chemically laced foods. The Dirty Dozen are fruit and vegetables that you should always buy organic.